@jaredsinclair shared his sales figures of Unread’s first year in the App Store. Sad news for the paid-up-front model.
- The paid-up-front app market is smaller than it may appear.
- Coverage from influential bloggers can drive more sales than an App Store feature.
- Paid-up-front business models don’t generate sustainable revenues.
- If you want to make “real money” from a paid-up-front app, your launch week has to be be a box-office smash.
- Don’t launch your paid-up-front app at a reduced price. Demand for your app will likely never be higher again. Price it accordingly.
- Sustainable revenue must come from other sources than the original app purchase, either from consumable in-app purchases, or from recurring subscriptions.