1. Swallow 1 tsp. white table sugar, dry. A study found that this stopped hiccups immediately in 19 out of 20 people. Repeat up to three more times at 2-minute intervals if necessary.
2. Gulp down a glass of water if the sugar doesn’t work.
3. Eat a piece of dry bread slowly.
4. Breathe in and out of a paper bag. Do not use a plastic bag under any circumstances, and don’t do this longer than 1 minute.
5. Gargle with water (see ‘How to Gargle’).
6. Repeat the above steps until your hiccups stop.
Tips: Keep in mind that hiccups can be caused by eating too fast and subsequently swallowing a lot of air or drinking too much alcohol.
I’ve always wondered why I get hiccups all the times… 😆